When it comes to eye liners, you best believe I’ve tried every variation of it available in the market. Eye pencils, kajal sticks, felt tip markers, liquid liners…you name it, I’ve tried it. So it was a no-brainer that I had to get my hands on the Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner (quite a mouthful, isn’t it?) released by Maybelline. The only catch? They only released it in black in India (that too under the name New Lasting Drama Gel Liner). Which is such a shame because I would have loved to try out the brown and mauve shades available overseas. Oh well. I had to make do with the shade Black (01). And to be quite honest, I had some very mixed feelings towards this particular product. But before we talk about my experience with it, let’s cover some basics first.
Description & Packaging
The Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eye Liner comes in a triangular cardboard box. Inside you will find a small pot that contains 2.5 gms (0.08 oz.) of black gel liner. The box also includes a thin flat brush that has densely packed bristles and is secured with a cap.
Trimethylsiloxysilicate, cyclopentasiloxane, isododecane, cyclohexasiloxane, ceresin, caprylyl methicone, silica silylate, lauroyl lysine, disteardimonium hectorite, propylene carbonate, hydroxyapatite, triethoxycaprylylsilane, [+/- may contain: CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77007 / ultramarines, CI 77266 / Black 2].
My Experience With This Product (Complete Review)
To say that I have mixed feelings towards this product would be an understatement. I think a big reason for that is that I wanted to love the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eye Liner because of the many glowing reviews I read about it before I actually tried it out. But there were some glaring drawbacks in the product as well as the packaging that I just could not get past. Firstly, the gel liner and the brush come in a cardboard box that’s pretty much useless once you open it. Now, if you’re an unorganized person like me, then I’m sure you will also dump these in your handbag or makeup bag then root around for the brush for a good 10 minutes when you want to use it before you find it right at the bottom. But if you’re an organized individual who has her shit together and has figured out adult life, this shouldn’t be a problem for you.
Now, coming to application… *sighs*. This was probably my biggest problem with this gel liner. If you like going for one swift stroke to line your eyes, then this product is not for you. You can only go for tiny individual strokes at a time as you will constantly have to pick up more product with your brush. However, this works well when you want to really build up the color and go for a thick, dramatic line.
The flat bristles of the brush are great for lining your eyes as they are densely packed and super soft. But if you plan on going for a sharp winged eye look, this brush is not going to be of much help as it creates a blunt and thick line. I would recommend going in with a felt tip or liquid liner in such cases just to draw in your wings after using this gel liner.
If you’re the kind of person who is too lazy to remove her makeup with proper makeup wipes and remover at the end of the day, then I’ve got some good news for you. Though the Maybelline gel eyeliner claims that it is waterproof, it actually comes off quite easily with soap and water. This also means it’s easy to correct your mistakes with just a bit of water when your hands get a bit a shaky and your line goes haywire!
Now, I know that a lot of people opt for a gel eyeliner to get that jet black winged eye look. But, due to the matte finish of this gel liner, after it dries, you end up with a black shade with an ashy gray tinge to it.
The one promise that the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eye Liner undoubtedly delivers on is its smudge-proof quality. My eye makeup DID NOT budge throughout the day, neither did it spread around my eyes and make me look like a raccoon! It lasted for a good 12 hours save for a little fading on the inner corners of eyes.
Texture And Pigmentation
The Maybelline gel eyeliner has an incredibly smooth and creamy texture that glides on easily. Its pigmentation, however, is not as opaque as it claims to be. Though it does look jet black in the pot, it dries matte after it has been applied. This matte finish makes it look a bit gray and not intensely black.
Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner claims to last for 36 hours. I could not put this claim to test because who even wears makeup for that long at a stretch? However, it did last me throughout my work day which was about 12 hours long.
Features And Benefits
- Claims that its new formula glides smoothly to make a line without a crease.
- Includes an eyeliner brush that is customized to draw lines as desired, from fine to thick.
- The creamy gel texture dries quickly after application.
- Water and smudge-proof formula resists to sweat, tears (hope they are only of laughter), sebum, and water.
- Tested by ophthalmologists.
- Safe for sensitive eyes and can be worn with contact lenses.
- Lasts up to 36 hours.
- Box contains a brush made specifically for this gel eyeliner.
- High-quality flat brush with densely packed, soft bristles.
- Creamy texture of the gel eyeliner ensures that it applies smoothly and quickly.
- Dries super fast.
- Does not spread, rub off, or smudge throughout the day.
- Perfect for creating a thick and dramatic eyeliner look.
- No pouch/container provided for storing the pot of eyeliner and the brush together.
- Not very waterproof.
- Not possible to draw a sharp wing with the brush provided.
- Does not give you an intensely opaque jet black finish the way it claims it will.
- Price point too high.
How To Apply?
- Dip the tip of the eyeliner brush into the pot of eyeliner.
- Hold the brush horizontally so that its bristles are parallel to your upper lash line.
- Start drawing your line from the middle of your lash line and extend it towards the outer corner of your eye.
- Then, draw your line from the center to the inner corner of your eye.
- Pick up more liner on your brush as and when required.
- To create a wing, extend your line from the outer corner towards the tip of your eyebrow.
36 months from the date of manufacturing.
Rs. 525 /-
Will I Recommend This Product?
I will recommend this product only for its long lasting wear and smudge-proof quality. But if you’re a gal who loves her liquid and felt tip liners, then the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eye Liner may not be for you.
You can buy Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner from here:- www.amazon.in
Well, that’s the long and short of my experience with the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eye Liner. Did I answer any of your questions? Or perhaps you’ve tried it out yourself and have something to share about your experience? Whatever the case, comment below and let us know how you feel!